Here is a chance to do something completely different.
GateHouse Media is looking for two ambitious, entrepreneurial individuals to help us reinvent local journalism.
The ideal candidate:
- A recent college graduate (or graduating this spring)
- At least six months experience blogging
- Capable of shooting and editing his or her own video
- Ready to do more than sit in an office and make phone calls or pull the latest agenda item from a city council meeting and try to turn it into a story
- Believes in local news and local community and sees a role for journalism in helping a community communicate and learn about what is happening in that community
In this job, you will have a chance to define a new role for community journalists. You will be doing more than trying to shove five W’s and an H into an inverted pyramid. This job is about figuring out what a community of people really wants from its local community site.
What we’re looking for is people who can work on their own, willing to try new things and not be bound “that’s how it’s always been done.” You will be expected to be responsible for coming up with new ideas for your site, both in coverage and presentation, and for growing audience.
We will provide you with the technology and tools to get the job done. We will expect you to grow readership and participation.
Chances are you will be required to relocate.
Applicants should e-mail me at howens -at- gatehouse media (oneword) dot com.