- Chris Jennewein, Ron James and Jim Drummond are out at SignOnSanDiego.com. We can only hope they land newspaper industry jobs soon, if that’s what they want to do.
- Sean Polay left Ottaway for a magazine company.
- Bob Benz, Wes Jackson, Mike Higgins and Heather Lamm are now with Maroon Ventures, which consults for newspapers, but is more than just a newspaper-related company.
- Michael Bazeley now works for Berekley’s law school.
- Lucas Grindley, according to his LinkedIn profile, is still looking for work.
- Joe Michaud left MaineToday.com to become a consultant. John Wilpers is consulting. Melinda Gipson is consulting.
- Ken Sands is now with Congressional Quarterly.
- Ed Canale, VP of Interactive for the Sacramento Bee, is moving on.
Wow, that’s a lot of smart, talented, experienced people — people who pioneered the online newspaper business — who are not currently employed by newspaper companies. Though some still help newspaper online operations through consulting, that’s quite a brain drain.
Of course, there are still lots of smart, talented, experienced people — including many pioneers — still in their newspaper jobs; it’s just surprising to look at such a distinguished list of people who are in different roles now.