The Praized Blog presents 16 Rules for Social Media.
I think 16 over complicates things. Here’s how I would edit down the list (I’ve also changed wording).
- Keep content fresh, which leads to more in-bound links.
- Make tagging and social bookmarking easy
- Reward inbound links (i.e., trackbacks)
- Make your content portable so it can easily be added to other sites
- Be a resource — link to anybody and everybody (including competitors) so that your visitors always find your site valuable
- Reward frequent users (promote their work, develop a ranking system)
- Participate (join the conversation as an equal)
And that, my friends, is what all newspaper.com sites should be doing.